More than 7% of the population ages 18 years and older — nearly 13.8 million Americans — have problems with drinking, including 8.1 million people who suffer from alcoholism. Though alcohol abuse is a serious issue that needs to be addressed, another epidemic continues to plague the United States: obesity.
An estimated 160 million Americans are either obese or overweight. Obesity can be caused by a culmination of factors. According to the Obesity Medicine Association (OMA), many people assume obesity is the result of eating too much and not exercising enough, but that may only play a small factor. Other factors include:
- Environment: Proximity to local fast food can subconsciously encourage consumption of fatty foods because of convenience.
- Genetics: OMA reports there are 79 known obesity syndromes caused by genes.
- Diseases: Some diseases can alter metabolism.
- Medications: Some medications can also affect metabolism or hormones related to weight loss
Since there are many factors that could contribute to obesity, and some of these could be the result of genetics or medications, it may be beneficial to speak to a doctor about weight loss options. If you’re feeling uncertain about finding a good weight loss system, speak with your trusted family medicine doctor first. They know you and your medical history. They will be a good starting resource and can seek out a program for medical weight loss Boca Raton patients trust.
Medical Weight Loss Boca Raton: Finding a Program
Approaching your family medicine doctor about weight loss can feel like a daunting task, but it is the first step to starting weight loss treatment. Here are four questions to start a conversation with your family medicine doctor:
- How is my weight affecting my health? Some people may have genetic syndromes or medical conditions that are negatively affected by added weight. Knowing if you have a preexisting condition can help determine the need to lose weight.
- How much weight is healthy to lose? Your family medicine doctor can help you determine the appropriate amount of weight to lose. They will evaluate your current state and formulate a reasonable goal based on any medical conditions.
- How will losing weight affect my health and lifestyle? A weight loss system requires committing to the goal. Speak with your doctor and have them explain the benefits to your health. This will help you understand why this is important and motivate you to stick to the plan at times when you feel overwhelmed.
- What kind of exercise will be required? This will vary for each individual person. Your doctor will create an exercise routine just for you based on your current physical fitness. It is important to follow their guidelines to maximize the benefits of the weight loss system and also avoid injury from overexertion.
By using these questions, you will have a sense of where to begin and the support you will have from your doctor. In no time at all, you will be on your way with a healthy weight loss plan!